It is a pleasure for me to share the sustainable brands I love and wear. My biggest goal for 2020 is to live a more sustainable life and I truly believe that what I choose to wear greatly contributes to a healthier planet.
What is sustainable fashion? There is much to be said about it, in short here is a few things that makes a brand sustainable:
- Biodegradable – Silk, linen, wool, and hemp fabrics easily decompose into natural elements (as in, not landfill filler) after being trashed.
- Eco-Friendly – Clothes, shoes and accessories are made with minimal damage to the planet.
- Ethical/Fair Trade – This simply means that people who worked on an item were treated safely and paid fairly.
- Organic – No harsh chemicals were used to make an item.
- Locally Made – Items have been manufactured within their own community or country.
- Reducing Waste – Items are made with innovative regenerated or creatively upcycled. This even goes to the packaging used.
I am still learning about sustainable fashion and open to educating myself more and more about this matter. The idea of buying clothing items for the long term and not really following trends is something I have always loved, so without going any further here are my favorite brands!
- Peony Swimwear
- Maggie Marilyn
- Mara Hoffman
- Stella McCartney
It is great to see that so many brands are becoming more conscious of the impact they create to the planet. In addition to buying from sustainable brands, second loved items is also another great way to be more sustainable. I have to incorporate more of that to my wardrobe, one step at a time I guess. I would love to hear your thoughts about this!